Black is definitely back. For nails, at least. This might be a lil' outdated but hey, I just caught on to the black nail polish bug. I haven't sported black nails since my supposed emo rock days. Now, all the rage is for Chanel's limited edition Black Satin #219. However, this chic and sophistication beauty craze has gone a wee bit too far - prices have rocketed on eBay and there's even a waiting list for this cute bottle of black varnish. It's the hit sequel to Chanel's Vamp polish when Karl Lagerfield showed models sporting dark varnish in 1994.
NY Magazine has an interesting article about the Black Nail Polish: A Brief History. As a Chinese myself, I never knew black polish was meant for royalty back in the ol' days. Interesting piece of trivia.
This trend is definitely one of the biggest comebacks in 2006. And, it's gonna linger for a little while in Spring '07. I'm thrilled as black nails are no longer meant for goths and bad girls, but it's fabulous accessory that goes well with white frocks, tan skin, denim and the list goes on! Trend-setters like Lindsay Lohan and Jessica Alba were seen spotting with black nails (and even chipped ones - with Lindsay!).
Off The Rack also gives a few tipsters on 'How to Get Black Nails like Jessica'. Read on:
1. Black polish looks best on short, square nails. Go too long or too pointy, and you look more like Elvira than fashionista.
2. Chips in dark polish are much more apparent. A protective top coat will help keeping your digits look perfect.
3. To get the color consistent across your nail, try 2-3 coats over a good basecoat. One coat will end up looking too streaky.
4. If you don't feel like breaking the bank for the Chanel Black polish.
5. If black is a little too dramatic for you, try a dark red or a deep plum.
If Black is not your style, you can go for dark varnishes like Mischa and Jessica. They look fab and chic as well.
As Mara Taskin says, "Black nail polish is like the French manicure of last season"