May 11, 2007

Fanny Packs - making a comeback?

Remember when you were growing up in the 80's, the fanny pack was everywhere? People used it as a bag to carry things while working out or just everyday use really and even today, it can still be seen on the hips of Hawkers in Singapore.


An example of a regular Fanny pack.

Even as a child with no fashion sense, I abhorred fanny packs - they were just utilitarian pieces made of nylon and zips, with no nods towards style. So, when I read this article in the New York Times A New Attitude for the Hip I was surprised and somewhat impressed. I did further research and found Fannypack.com which states that "the fashion iconoclast" is back".

First, I will show you some pictures that the NYT article showed - Fanny packs made with chic new shapes and some proper styling.


The above fanny pack is called the "Ammo Pack" from the line Number (N)ine by Japanese designer Takahiro Miyashita. I really liked the earth tones of the washed leather and the fact that it looks nothing like a typical fanny pack.


The above neon version is from Kris Van Assche. I think this version is perhaps a brighter nod to the old Fanny Pack and rather spoils the look of the whole suit. Not feeling this one at all.


Philip Lim shines with this belt clutch version of the fanny pack. I can see myself rocking this while out clubbing!


The above oversized coin purse version of a fanny pack is a creation by Alice Roi. NYT reports that the oversize coin purses were inspired by the notion of a chic French thief. I love that!! Alice Roi also stated to NYT that “I never saw the point of carrying around a 500-pound bag,” she said. “Technology has gone hands-free. Why not baggage?” True, true.

And here are some fanny packs from fannypack.com. I definitely can see that these bags are a step up - looks well made, chic yet functional! Oh and Fannypack.com states that the bags are constructed in strict compliance with fair trade standards for a hands free world that is a little more humanitarian. Indeed.


The Morris Fanny pack.


The Slater Fanny pack.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀 酒店打工 酒店工作 酒店上班 酒店兼差 酒店兼職 打工兼差 打工兼職 酒店應徵 禮服店 酒店 經紀 打工 兼差 台北酒店 兼職

Anonymous said...

You will find the most updated news being uploaded or published
in blogs and celeb news sites. Who does not want to know what is happening in our favorite celebrity''.
He covers gossip on celebrities, actors and musicians.

Here is my web page :: latest celeb news

Anonymous said...

So, while I am no roving reporter I am endeavoring with my menial reporting skills, to bring you.
The effects of what they see, read and hear are
having a devastating affect on our society today.

All kinds of sports news today are offered live through the television.


Feel free to visit my website :: cba.pl

Anonymous said...

Hey terrific website! Does running a blog similar to this take a great deal of work?
I've no knowledge of coding however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyway, should you have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject but I just needed to ask. Many thanks!

Have a look at my blog ... visit the following web site

Anonymous said...

Great info. Lucky me I ran across your site by accident (stumbleupon).
I've book-marked it for later!

Here is my webpage; latest celeb news

Anonymous said...

electronic cigarette, smokeless cigarettes, electronic cigarette, smokeless cigarettes, smokeless cigarettes, electronic cigarettes